William A. "Bill" Hudson
Connect with Bill
Bill Hudson was born in 1944 in Baltimore, Maryland. Generations of Hudsons have been watermen working the Chincoteague and Chesapeake Bays from the small waterfront hamlet of Greenbackville, Virginia. During childhood summers with his grandparents in Greenbackville, Bill developed a life-long attraction to fishing ports, old wooden work boats, and crabbing. His love of the sea is evident today in his maritime watercolors.
In addition to his early drawing skills, Bill had an aptitude for science and mathematics and graduated in 1967 with a BSME from Drexel University in Philadelphia. He then pursued a 38-year aerospace career in California with Boeing. In 1970 Bill married Ellie O’Brien. Subsequently, they had eight children and now 20 grandchildren in this close-knit family.
Bill has continually developed his art skills with evening courses in both oil and watercolor. Now retired from aerospace, Bill combines his love of art and the sea painting with a combination of watercolor and casein on cotton fiber, cold-press, watercolor paper. “Discovering casein and its velvet-like qualities has been an exciting experience for me. Casein uses milk curds as the binder rather than the gum arabic associated with watercolor and gouache. Casein is a durable media that has been used since ancient Egyptian times, but lost favor with the introduction of acrylics in the 1950s. Casein is now enjoying a well-deserved rebirth in popularity.”
Bill has exhibited and sold in many galleries and juried shows including those La Quinta, Scottsdale, La Jolla, San Diego, Beverly Hills, Carmel, Laguna Beach, Indian Wells, Indio, Malibu, Redlands, Morro Bay, the Riverside Art Museum, the National Watercolor Society, and Watercolor West.
Highlights of his painting career include:
- Awarded “Best of Show” and/or “Best Watercolor” many times.
- In 2013 he was awarded “California Artist of the Year” by Twin Cities TOSCA magazine.
- Authored and published the Watercolor Pocket Guide
- As President of Watermen Art, Bill invented, patented, and sold out the Mahl Bridge and Mahl Bridge Clamps seen weekly on TV.
- Demonstrator and/or workshop instructor for many art associations including Watercolor West multiple times.
- Juror of many art shows including the Laguna Beach Festival of the Arts